Friday, February 19, 2010

French Onion Soup

I have a similar conversation with Don every time I make this soup, and it goes something like this:

"I thought you didn't like onions." Don gives me a quizzical look.
"I like this."

I really don't like onions a whole lot, well, let me rephrase that, I don't like uncooked onions.  But this doesn't fall underneath that.  And since all of the onion flavor melds with the broth and you don't have that strong onion taste burning your tongue and making your breath stink for the next 24 hours, I make an exception.  Besides, I'm mildly obessed with anything French related.
The best part about this soup??  It doesn't take a long time to make and is comprised of a small list of ingredients, and since I always have onions, I pretty much always have the ingredients for this soup.  It's a wonderful thing to make when you don't feel like cooking.  And I'm all about that.

Here's the recipe:

French Onion Soup
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (2 large)
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 2 TBSP dry sherry or dry white wine (optional)
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Dash black pepper
  • 6 slices French bread, toasted
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss, Gruyere, ro Jarlsberg cheese (4 oz., I usually only have mozzarella in fridge)
In a large saucepan, melt butter, add onions.  Cook  covered, over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender and golden, stirring occasionally.  Stir in broth, sherry (if desired), Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, sprinkle toasted bread with shredded cheese.  Place bread under  broiler until cheese melts and turns light brown.  To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with bread.  I usually don't top with the bread, since I prefer to dip it.



Bon appetit!


[erin's star signature]

3 comments:

  1. mmmm...i love me some soup! but frankly, i've always been afraid to try french onion, because i'm not a huge fan of onions by themselves. but i will trust you, erin-sensei! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to try this..I've been looking for a great french onion soup recipe forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok so i made your cinemin rolls (sorry i forgot how to spell cinimen) anyhoo I LOVED THEM! i have never in my 6 years of marriage been able to have a batch turn out! as least not good enough to share with the neighbors! thank you so much! can't wait for more recipes! ps i would try your onion soup but i hate onions and refuse to have them in my house...but shhh lets keep that our little secret!

    ReplyDelete