Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Caramel Sauce

We are coming into apple season. I love apples. I love caramel. I like to eat them together and have a little bit of apple with my caramel. Car-r-r-r-r-amel.  Yum.  It even rolls off your tongue.  So, I've decided to share the recipe. It's a really nice sauce, and extremely easy.

Your ingredients are as follows:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. light corn syrup
  • 2/3 c. heavy cream
  • 1/4 c. butter


Mix all in a saucepan and bring to a boil (one you can't stir down) over medium heat. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly.
Here's a before and after picture of mine.  Before boiling:





And after:




It's amazing what a little heat will do. I found that stirring it for 3 minutes gave it just the right consistency.  It will still be a relatively thin sauce once you're done stirring, but it will thicken up as it cools. Car-r-r-r-amel.    This sauce is a lot easier than real caramel sauce, in which you have to wait for granulated sugar to caramelize and brown.  And it tastes just as good.

Devour with your favorite pears or apples.  I canned mine so I could give it away as a gift.




Happy Fall!

[erin's star signature]

1 comment:

  1. it looks so easy i think i just might be able to pull it off! thanks, shmerin!

    ReplyDelete